Grannom

Home Forums Fly Fishing Grannom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    jcr

Nice ties. I like that you mixed yellow in with your black dubbing giving the body a speckled look like the Gs on the J. I do the same, recommended by Bill. I use a lighter CDC than the black you used. Natural CDC or a darker tan. This doesn’t mean black won’t work.

jcr

I would be concerned that the black CDC will blend with the black body, not providing enough contrast. Could look like one large profile to the fish

flyman
    Participant

Hello jrc,

The photo may make it look like black cdc but it is actually Trouthunter natural dark dun.

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

I’ve been on the river every day and I regret to report there are no red buds showing color as yet and no grannoms. In fact there has been very little in the way emergence of anything other than a few olives. I am still expecting to see grannoms before the weekend. But the red buds have to show first. BTW there are big time grannoms on the Big Bald Eagle and lower Spring Creek since Sunday!

Bill

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

The red buds are showing color, Grannoms will emerge on the j within 2 or 3 days!

dave78
    Participant

I have been on the water all week and not much happening. Yesterday was the first day I saw any grannoms (couple dozen),but no big emergence yet.

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the grannom caddis has little regard for high water and is emerging during this event. I once saw a blizzard hatch at 1250 CFS! Water temperature is still key, maybe the cool air will slow or stop them for a while until the flow comes down (currently over 2000 CFS). Take a look at the Rivercam on this site.

Bill

Comparadun33
    Participant

Unbelievable a property on Spruce Creek up for sheriff sale, John Gates property listed in the Huntingdon Newspaper.

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

There are grannoms all up and down the river. I am finding trout rising on egg layers in the afternoon…almost nothing working the morning emergence though.
    Bill

Comparadun33
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=AOxZaP97bZM&video_referrer=watch
    Use youtube tools 720 HD

jcr

someone please tell the trout that the grannoms are not poisonous this year and they can eat them. I think they are so late they gave up on them.

Comparadun33
    Participant

There are reports of more Rach caddis the green one, which would be great and like old times, but which would also mean a reduction in the Grannoms. The Rach is an afternoon hatch. Two years in a row for poor Grannoms

Comparadun33
    Participant

Only one edit? This forum needs work!!!. As of yesterday April 29th the redbuds along rt 22 near Huntingdon have not bloomed yet, I did see one blooming on the road down from the breast of Raystown

Comparadun33
    Participant

Comparadun33
    Participant

Please read notes on the video, any input is welcome concerning the next big coming event, our Sulfers, Sulphurs!
    with the warm week coming up May 8th 10th?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.