Grannom

Home Forums Fly Fishing Grannom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    rjs
    Participant

Last year alot of you predicted within one or day days, the start of the hatch. I was impressed.

Any predictions??

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

My full proof predictor of the J Grannom hatch is the budding of the Red Bud trees along the river. When they show the first color we are 3 days from an emergence. This has proven to be true every spring for the past 10 years. Including the earliest hatch of all in 2012, March 23rd. Last year, also a long cold winter, the emergence came on 4/16…a late average date. My early prediction is April 13th. But we won’t know for sure until the Red Buds tell us!

jcr

I’m predicting April 12th 🙂
    I don’t have 10 year data, but my correlation is that they emerge 1-2 day later than they do on lower spring creek

gutcutter
    Participant

Teaser…
    Cased Grannom
    Cased Grannom
    Grannom Pupa
    Grannom Pupa
    Adult Grannom
    Grannom Adult

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by gutcutter.
    Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Gutcutter, Very nice! If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would show y’all my patterns.
    Bill

dave78
    Participant

Bill,

To upload images, you should create an account with a image hosting site. I personally use Flikr and Photobucket. These sites allow you to upload images. Once uploaded you can copy the photo’s url link. Now when you want to insert the photo into a post on this site, just hit the IMG button and paste the photo url link and hit ok. Hope this helps.

jcr

Thanks dave and gutcutter. One more step.
    I wonder if the webmaster can add a button for direct uploads?

jcr

BTW nice ties. AND I’m impressed with your ability to take great photos of your flies.
    what did you use for the wing pads on the pupae?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by jcr.
    gutcutter
    Participant

Thank you for the compliments on my flies and photos… I want to try and get this forum back to what it was. There are a lot of experienced and excellent fishermen who share the common love of the Little J on this forum. I hope to get things started again…

what did you use for the wing pads on the pupae?

Amber Thin Skin cut into 1/4″ strips

rjs
    Participant

Grannon Hatch '14

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by rjs.
    rjs
    Participant

Pictures above were from the Grannom Hatch 2014, first time in using photobucket. GREAT instructions

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Ok…we are getting real close to Grannom emergence. I took a close look at the Red Buds yesterday (April 9th). There is no color showing as yet, but they are starting to show green buds. I still think the warm weather forecast for this weekend will trigger a hatch by Sunday (April 12) or Monday.
    There are some great patterns shown on this thread…you should tie a bunch now.

PS I have an in depth analysis of the Grannom hatch on the “j” in my book “Trout Boomer and the little J”. go to http://www.troutboomer.com
    Bill

StewartMasterson
    Participant

Finally back in the forum. Any grannom updates?

rjs
    Participant

Just wondering, will this high water effect the Grannom hatch? I plan on coming up on Wed or Thur of this week.

Any sightings?

Thx

flyman
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to this web site and was wondering if you would mind critiquing my attempt at the adult grannom and if you think it has a strong likelihood of catching trout. Thanks.

BTW the hooks are Mustad #98440 #14’s.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/wbranch/media/Grannoms%202.jpg.html

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/wbranch/media/More%20Grannoms%201.jpg.html

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by flyman.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.