Sulfer Sulphur Nymphs April 30th

Home Forums Fly Fishing Sulfer Sulphur Nymphs April 30th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Comparadun33
    Participant

Comparadun33
    Participant

I would say the Grannoms are about shot, however with warmer water temps and low water the fish are looking up, also nice to see more of the green caddis in the river, every year there seems to be less of the caramel colored sulfer nymphs and more of the dark nymphs (the larger size 14 fly. Sulphurs 8th or 10th, if you look closely you can see wing pad development on the nymphs and warmer weather in the forecast!

SirJohnny
    Participant

Can’t wait. Univ of Pittsburgh delayed classes for two weeks (professor out of town). Might actually get to hit the sulphur hatch this year.

John Coxey

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by SirJohnny.
    Comparadun33
    Participant

That should work John

Comparadun33
    Participant

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

I Notice that sulfur nymphs in Dick’s video have very fine segmentation on their abdomens. Easy to see why a copper john works so well.
    The darker nymphs are the earlier Rotundas, size 14 when they emerge.
    Bill

Comparadun33
    Participant

Yes & Yes Bill that is Invaria/Rotunda, they seem to be nearly as abundant now as the small Sulphur?

Comparadun33
    Participant

Are we lucky or what, such a beautiful river!

Comparadun33
    Participant
    Comparadun33
    Participant
    StewartMasterson
    Participant

They have to be emerging soon. Originally I thought this would be a post mothers day start but with low water, warm weather and the nymphal development I have seen this has to begin soon….Anyone spot anything?

StewartMasterson
    Participant

Great video…thank you for sharing this. Is this current? is this the sulphur hatch? Wondering if it began. thank you

Comparadun33
    Participant

Stewart, that is from another year, I should have stated that, I was on the river for a couple hours today, fish were on top but taking something very very small, Sulfers/Sulphurs, soon.

Comparadun33
    Participant

Be patient, wait for clear focus, These are todays nyumphs taken about 3:30 May 6th, lower river!

PLACE YOUR BETS! Lets here you all pick the day of emergence?

I am sticking with May 8th – 10th?!

Comparadun33
    Participant

Rejoice there are some Green Caddis larve here, Also note that wing pads are not necessarily dark, as we have been taught to look for, that plus there is some”HULA” movement. PLACE YOUR BETS pick the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.