Stocking

Home Forums Fly Fishing Stocking

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RCalhoun
    Participant

A dumb question really..
    Does the little Juniata still get stocked with fingerlings yearly? If so when does that happen, and what organization is responsible for the stocking?
    I ask because I did a bit of fishing yesterday for the first time sense late June and ran into a pile of very small fingerling browns. Could not keep them off my sz20 midge, actually had to change up to a larger pattern due to hooking into one almost every other cast. They were all localized in a small 30 yard run which got me thinking if some stocking could have taken place recently?

joer

The PFBC stocked the LJ in the fall with brown trout for years up until 2010. Convinced this was a waste of resources, the LJRA encouraged PFBC to evaluate the program. An electroshocking survey over two years was conducted to assess the effectiveness of the program. They found very, very few stocked fingerlings (4%) detected among the wild trout. As a result the stocking program was discontinued. See report:
    http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2010bio/7x08_26ljun.htm

They stock the DHALO in the spring with rainbow trout, but not browns. There is no sanctioned stocking of the J.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by joer.
    RCalhoun
    Participant

That’s what I thought, but wasn’t absolutely sure.

Thanks!

lastchance
    Participant

test

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.