Redds

Home Forums Fly Fishing Redds

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Coons
    Participant

I was wondering if the trout have started to spawn or pre-spawn yet? Also was curious if the rainbows spawn in the river in the spring, my buddy has caught some smaller ones this year and it’s my understanding the clubs don’t stock small fish. Thanks, Mark

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Mark,
    After the nice rain we had, I expect trout to be digging redds as we speak (Nov.1st) I see them every year about this time. As for rainbows, there is no doubt we are developing a rainbow population in the lower “j”. We know there is reproduction of bows in Spruce Creek, and maybe in the main river as well.
    Bill

Mark Coons
    Participant

Bill, Thanks for the info. We thought that might be the case. Last Spring he also had a day when he caught 3 Bows in a row in the same spot and thought they might be staging up for a spawn, so he moved out of that area. I guess George had it right. Mark

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Mark, we are sure that rainbows are reproducing in the j .
    It would be interesting to conduct a search for rainbow redds this coming spring…should I sign you up?

Mark Coons
    Participant

Bill, sorry so long on responding and yes I would be interested, but if there is high water how do you do it? Would they use the same locations as the Browns or do they prefer different criteria. What triggers the time they start to make their redds and would there be enough of them or would it be like looking for a needle in a hay stack? Mark

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Mark,
    Bows spawn in slightly faster water than browns, but we can look for them in about the same places. Of course high or muddy water will be a show stopper. Redds at tailouts in water from 1/2 to 3 feet of moving water with cobble sized between ping pong ball and raquet ball sized cobble is prefered. I’ll let you know the date when we get closer. Possibly the day of the clean-up will work for redd hunting (April 9th).
    Bill

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Mark,
    Bows spawn in slightly faster water than browns, but we can look for them in about the same places. Of course high or muddy water will be a show stopper. Redds at tailouts in water from 1/2 to 3 feet of moving water with cobble sized between ping pong ball and raquet ball sized cobble is prefered. I’ll let you know the date when we get closer. Possibly the day of the clean-up will work for redd hunting (April 9th).
    Bill

Bill Anderson
    Keymaster

Mark,
    Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.